Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Me? Falling For the E-Book?



I don't remember the class, the instructor, or the subject matter, but I heard once that a 10% return is a reasonable expectation when marketing a product. If you made 100 cold calls, 10 would bite...or something like that.

I've been investigating the idea of marketing my books online only, cut out queries and pitches, submissions and reading fees. The DIY of publishing. I had long abandoned this idea, preferring traditional publishing, until I read some recent stories in the New York Times and Salon.com. Of course few in the world of writing haven't heard about the 'million' made by selling a million e-books. But I also read about bookstores now charging admission to book signings and author meet and greets, because business is so bad and they need the money. They blame this, for the most part, on the e-book.

I'm rethinking everything.

There are on average 62.4 million avid book readers in the United States. Mind you, e-books can be purchased from anywhere in the world, with one click, but I'm thinking small. Let's cut that in half to be even more modest. Then taking my ten percent, since the other ninety may have no interest in my genre, style or story... 3.12 million dollars, if I sold an e-book for a buck.

Coming soon, to a Kindle near you....

No comments:

Post a Comment