Monday, March 22, 2010

By All Means.... television doing more for the already privileged!!

When I first heard about the new show coming to NBC, Who Do You Think You Are?, I was very excited. I volunteer at the local library, helping common folk research their lineage.

I was excited, that is, until Sarah Jessica Parker's face flashed across the screen. I like her too, in New York, in the city, at lunch with the girls or spooning with Big.

I totally love the idea of the research, the tracking of the ancient ancestors. But the six people being researched are wealthy celebrities... two of them married! They can afford to have someone research their families. There are professional Geneologists that do just that. They can afford the plane tickets to chase the clues all over the globe, the costs for vital documents. Why not do the same great show, for people that will never be able to afford it otherwise?

I see and help a lot of people looking to make that connection. They come to the library, because it's free. Otherwise, they would be on their own. I just think, especially in these hard times, it's hard to see people given something they can get themselves, while the fans who have made them rich, watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment