Monday, March 1, 2010

The David in Cherilyn David


Every artist, in any genre, goes through this. What will my name be? How shall I sign things? Will I use my name or a studio name? Will my name be my logo?


I have heard so many stories of the way my fellow photographers have come to their names, using middle names, family names; using their children or some other important people and places. It's an amazing thing, because it's this one time in your life that you can choose your name. At the same time, it's crucial, because you can only do it once, if you want the name to stick and last, it's best not to change it later.


Of the last names I have had in my life, I have never really identified or attached with any of them. This has nothing to do with my family, or the other people who have shared these names with me. I actually used both my mother's and my father's last names, at different times throughout my childhood. I kept my married name after divorce, because it is my daughter's name as well, but it is still not something near and dear to me. I may marry again some day.


Of course I wanted to incorporate my daughter in my name, but me being me, her name is already very unique and whimsical with an unusual spelling. No matter how I approached it, it just didn't work. My middle name didn't fit either.


At the end of this mental journey, I wanted something strong and conservative, to follow the feminine fun of my first name. I wanted something that would communicate energy and confidence to my clientele. Next to my daughter, the most important person in my immediate family was a surprising under dog that came up from behind. That photo finish, belongs to my father, David.


My father was not a regular fixture in my life as a child. He was labeled for that absence, for a long time. But absence, was his only crime. He has never hurt me, lashed out at me or intentionally thrown hurdles in my path. There are people in this world, whose absence would be a gift and yet they receive the credit for being around.


I am 34 years old and in my life, especially the last 5 years or so, I have received more support and guidance, from my father and his family, my Aunt & Uncle, his community, his people. When I want to be appreciated and feel like I am important to someone, I find my father. He has treated my daughter with the same unconditional love. His brother and sister-in-law are like my parents as well, their daughters, my sisters.


When I tell him about this, I'm going to give him a business card, a link to the site and a copy of this blog. He will probably cry.


I love you Dad.

cherilyn



No comments:

Post a Comment